Wicked musical on broadway playing standing production at Gershwin Theatre. Wicked became the 10th longest running show in Broadway history as it it played its 5,124th performance at Gershwin Theatre yesterday, surpassing the original production of Rent which previously held the title.
Wicked musical is based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, featuring music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz and a book by Winnie Holzman. The current Broadway cast includes Rachel Tucker (Elphaba), Carrie St. Louis (Glinda) and Jonah Platt (Fiyero).
The international hit musical originally opened on Broadway on 30 October 2003, and is currently playing in London’s West End at the Apollo Victoria Theatre.
Top 10 longest running Broadway musicals as of 15 February 2016:
1. The Phantom of the Opera: 11,670 performances.
2. Chicago: 7,995 performances.
3. The Lion King: 7,593 performances.
4. Cats: 7,485 performances.
5. Les Miserables: 6,680 performances.
6. A Chorus Line: 6,137 performances.
7. Oh, Calcutta!: 5,959 performances.
8. Mamma Mia!: 5,758 performances.
9. Beauty and the Beast: 5,461 performances
10. Wicked: 5,125 performances